On May 8, members of the Empire State Society of Association Executives (ESSAE) visited the New York State Capitol to raise awareness of the importance and impact of associations to the life and success of the State, as well as make elected officials aware that ESSAE is the “go-to” source on all matters relating to associations.
For its advocacy day, a group of association advocates met with representatives from 10 state offices and dropped off information to several others. They spoke with policymakers and their staffs about power and impact of state associations, including job creation, workforce development, community enrichment and quality of life enhancement.
Empire State association execs shared these data points and more:
- NYS ranks second in the highest membership organization employment in the nation (California ranks first).
- NYS ranks third in the nation for number of registered 501(c)3s—with 77,072 organizations; and fifth in the nation for number of registered 501(c)6s—with 2,883 organizations.
- NYS membership associations bring in over $11 billion in annual revenue.
- NYS ranks third in the nation in total membership association assets—with $28.1 billion in value (Massachusetts is first; California is second).
- NYS professional associations are out front in:
- Educating the workforce
- Volunteering in the community
- Community Service
“Associations are champions of causes, innovation, leadership, and education. Not only do associations embody the spirit of true community, they are an instrumental to the financial well-being of our state and local economies,” said Vanessa E. LaClair, CMP, Executive Director. “ESSAE’s advocacy day efforts continue to bring association interests and benefits to the forefront and afford Legislators a more meaningful understanding of the vital role associations have in New York State.”
ESSAE’s fly-in demonstrates how the Power of A message extends to the local/state level. For guidance or materials for your local fly-in, please contact Mary Kate Cunningham at 202-626-2787 or email@example.com.